BLOG: A few notes on the 2017-18 basketball schedule

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
Pretty meh, but if there's a year where meh will be good for the team to gel, this is it.

Agreed. This is not the year to play a meat grinder of a non con. I will be shocked if the 2018-2019 schedule isn't ramped up (outside of the already known Maui field).

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
Agreed. This is not the year to play a meat grinder of a non con. I will be shocked if the 2018-2019 schedule isn't ramped up (outside of the already known Maui field).

When you add @ Iowa and the SEC Challenge game to the 2018 Schedule I think it will be tough enough We may want to stockpile wins with the remaining games. It might be the toughest non-con in ISU history!

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
I'll be shocked if it is ramped up. That's not the ISU way in scheduling.

I know I know... Unless the schedule includes @ Duke, @ Kentucky, @ Michigan State, a split squad where we simultaneously play @ Golden State and @ Cleveland, and a game where we build a time machine to go back to 1992 and take on the Dream Team you will complain about it.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I know I know... Unless the schedule includes @ Duke, @ Kentucky, @ Michigan State, a split squad where we simultaneously play @ Golden State and @ Cleveland, and a game where we build a time machine to go back to 1992 and take on the Dream Team you will complain about it.

Nice. I've been clear that it doesn't need even one of those.
It just needs to have teams with a pulse, like in that 100-200 RPI range. That's all anyone has ever yet asked, but some people just can't figure that out.

Instead, we can just wonder if Alcorn State is better or worse than the Citadel.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids

We already know some of the 2018-19 schedule

Mizzou
@ Iowa
Drake in dsm
3 Maui tournament games
(Duke, Arizona, Auburn, Gonzaga, Illinois, San Diego State, Xavier)

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Emporia St. in Hilton Coliseum?

pahmzQZ.gif

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Seems like they are again short on non con games. Only 11 before the conference season starts? Seems like most teams get in 12. If I recall, they had the same issue last season.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Don't have a problem with who they scheduled though. This team will need some wins and to work on chemistry and getting better. Missouri, Iowa, Tennessee, and UNI are all good games and if the play South Carolina that will be a good game.

• Agree
Reactions: flander1649

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
I like the schedule a lot this year to be honest. Going up against likely 4 (assuming SC makes the PRT Final and we do too) power 5 teams, all very winnable if we play well (I know optimistic, nut cup is ready), should help us. Granted the SEC sucks and Iowa is the worst program in the history of college athletics, but we will at least get a small glimpse into what we have against real talent (minus Iowa, Fran can eat a bag of dicks).

It isn't going to be the difference if we are on the bubble but it certainly shouldn't hurt us too bad assuming we can go at least 2-2 in those games.

**** Iowa

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
Nice. I've been clear that it doesn't need even one of those.
It just needs to have teams with a pulse, like in that 100-200 RPI range. That's all anyone has ever yet asked, but some people just can't figure that out.

Instead, we can just wonder if Alcorn State is better or worse than the Citadel.

Would you have predicted prior to last season that Omaha and Mount St. Mary's would be Top 150 RPI teams? I doubt it as I am guessing you just complained they were on the schedule.

Iowa State scheduled 3 Top 150 teams at Hilton last season and 3 bums. Every school has multiple sub 200 teams on its schedule...

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Would you have predicted prior to last season that Omaha and Mount St. Mary's would be Top 150 RPI teams? I doubt it as I am guessing you just complained they were on the schedule.

Iowa State scheduled 3 Top 150 teams at Hilton last season and 3 bums. Every school has multiple sub 200 teams on its schedule...

That's demonstrably false. People have walked us through that time and again.
To take that next step as a program, step up the schedule a little bit. Not that hard.

Or schedule Golden State. Everyone wants to play Durant.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Lose to Mizzou, one in the tournament and probably UNI. Not going to lose at home IMO

It feels dirty saying it but that young core of talent Iowa has looked to show some real promise last year. I just have a bad feeling about that one for some reason. With SC losing a big chunk of their talent last year I have more confidence in us beating them, should we make it to the final. Purple hoks will be a close one too like it usually is :mad:

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
It feels dirty saying it but that young core of talent Iowa has looked to show some real promise last year. I just have a bad feeling about that one for some reason. With SC losing a big chunk of their talent last year I have more confidence in us beating them, should we make it to the final. Purple hoks will be a close one too like it usually is :mad:

I don't see Fran ever winning in Ames. Much more worried about the UNI game as we always seem to suck at Wells Fargo.

• Agree
Reactions: flander1649