*** March MATness Thread ***

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Probably in his benefit that Nelson lost. If Taylor had to push for bonus Caldwell might have been able to catch him in something. If Taylor just has to win he'll be much more relaxed.

Also depends on how Caldwell approaches the match. If he says" **** it, win or go home" he'll try stuff and maybe get pinned. If he just goes to minimize points he should be able to keep it close.
Yep True all the way through.. Will say Caldwell will go with The **** it attitude because he has nothing to lose (maybe he will make my upset pick happen :twitcy:)

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Pretty sure at someplace in this thread I mentioned Minn was going to self destruct and granted they made it a heck of a run but man they had an opportunity. Hats of to PSU for 4 in a row

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
My first thought was potentially dangerous, but I guess whatev's. He squeaked through this tourney.

I would love it if one of our guys squeaked out a title. Or even made the finals. Makes finals night much more interesting.

I thought it was an easy call for two but that was a boring match and those hats were laaaaaaaame.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
As much as they sell Taylor, Ruth had a much better career.
I was just in the middle of a rant about Taylor. The kid is amazing yes, but from an elite stand point sorry he will be a 2x which is awesome but no where near "elite"

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
As much as they sell Taylor, Ruth had a much better career.

Yes & No. More championships for Ruth, but Taylor has been Dominant for 4 years, minus a crazy loss to Jenkins and then bumping up a weight just to wrestle one if the all time greats Dake.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
I would love it if one of our guys squeaked out a title. Or even made the finals. Makes finals night much more interesting.

I thought it was an easy call for two but that was a boring match and those hats were laaaaaaaame.
Fully agree, if it wasn't for the close team race and potential upsets Finals are never the same without one of our guys in it. But you know what going on record Hall will be in the finals at some point.

Reactions: Judoka

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I was just in the middle of a rant about Taylor. The kid is amazing yes, but from an elite stand point sorry he will be a 2x which is awesome but no where near "elite"

His career is basically comparable to Varner. Great career and an amazing wrestler, but nowhere near the conversation for best ever.

And Ruth is right next to him having a better career. Even is a bonus point machine like Taylor is.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Yes & No. More championships for Ruth, but Taylor has been Dominant for 4 years, minus a crazy loss to Jenkins and then bumping up a weight just to wrestle one if the all time greats Dake.
That doesnt make sense. Ruth has been just as dominate from a winning standpoint, plus another title. Taylor didn't "bump" up a weight he was already 165

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

You got that backwards. Dake bumped up, not Taylor.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
His career is basically comparable to Varner. Great career and an amazing wrestler, but nowhere near the conversation for best ever.

And Ruth is right next to him having a better career. Even is a bonus point machine like Taylor is.
Yep exactly. Not gong to take anything away from him but I just don't fully agree with the talkers labeling him as "elite". I mean Logie is a 3x

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
As an aside, ESPN has had amazing coverage this year and I hope they keep it up going forward. I don't know if I could ask for a better job from them beyond some questionable announcers.

And Iowa State has no room to talk when it comes to questionable announcers.

I don't know what you're talking about. That announcer on mat 5 yesterday that about wet his pants in excitement every 30 seconds was amazing.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
You got that backwards. Dake bumped up, not Taylor.

You're right, but what separates him fro Varner, and so many others is his ability to dominant, and get so many bonus points.

He makes those ankle picks and other TD moves look so easy, no matter which opponent, and that's impressive.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Yep exactly. Not gong to take anything away from him but I just don't fully agree with the talkers labeling him as "elite". I mean Logie is a 3x

There were three guys going for their third title tonight. Taylor wasn't one of them.

Don't get me wrong, Taylor seems like a great guy and I don't have any issues with him or anything. But the love for him doesn't match his accomplishments.

howellc33

Mar 18, 2012
Britt, IA
I would agree with the Varner comparison with Taylor. Taylor is a fantastic wrestler, but not the best ever. I think Ruth had the better career just because he had the 3rd title.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
You're right, but what separates him fro Varner, and so many others is his ability to dominant, and get so many bonus points.

He makes those ankle picks and other TD moves look so easy, no matter which opponent, and that's impressive.
And again Ruth has jus been as "dominant" from a bonus point standpoint. No one is taking anything away from him, amazing athletes and wrestlers, but we are talking about a 2x being labeled as "elite" and sorry taylor is not elite in that stand point.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
There were three guys going for their third title tonight. Taylor wasn't one of them.

Don't get me wrong, Taylor seems like a great guy and I don't have any issues with him or anything. But the love for him doesn't match his accomplishments.
Yep exactly what I was getting at.

howellc33

Mar 18, 2012
Britt, IA
Logan Stieber will likely be a 4 timer. I think the best comparison for Taylor would be Metcalf..Dominant, very few losses, but also only a 2 time champion.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
I mean **** look at how much FLO blows their load over Taylor. "Taylor wins 6-0 over Caldwell and caps one of the greatest NCAA college wrestling careers ever. 4x Finalist, 2x Champ #d1Wrestle" ONE OF THE GREATEST WRESTLING CAREERS? are you serious? actually are you ******* kidding me? One of the greatest, far from it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron