***NCAA Championships (March 18-20)***

bustamoveisu

Sep 8, 2012
I know you probably hate anything in black and gold, but as an uncle of a kid on the autism spectrum, there's context that needs to be looked at. Looking at ADS this year vs. last year, it's been a noticeable improvement in terms of his ability to control his emotions out there. Call it a "black mark" all you want, but he's a good kid who's dealing with mental issues that are very tough by themselves not to mention with the added stress of COVID and you calling him a thug because of that is pretty gross.
"He's a good kid?" We've only seen snippets of his behavior caught on camera.....I can't imagine what goes on when nobody is watching.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
My son has autism too. I understand the emotional side of things and trying to control it. My son handles stress far better than ADS and is much younger. Perhaps wrestling is not appropriate for him is he can't work on his control. It is a struggle for sure.

Family made a piss poor decision on who they wanted to coach/mentor a kid with special needs.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
My son has autism too. I understand the emotional side of things and trying to control it. My son handles stress far better than ADS and is much younger. Perhaps wrestling is not appropriate for him is he can't work on his control. It is a struggle for sure.
My son had a couple on his HS wrestling team that had autism. They would act out at times but not get violent or threaten anyone. More of quitting, or yelling.

• Informative
Reactions: CyTwins

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Iowa State will be involved. He loves the idea of working out with Carr
Wonder is he'd be able to finish online from Ames this fall? Couldn't wrestle until second semester but it would do both a lot of good.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Yeah that's why they call it a spectrum. Glad your boy handles it well. My nephew does as well but he just turned 15 and there are lots of dynamics at play.

• Informative
Reactions: cyputz

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Wonder is he'd be able to finish online from Ames this fall? Couldn't wrestle until second semester but it would do both a lot of good.
If Stanford cuts wrestling he'll be able to do whatever he wants. I've heard his name brought up quite a few times so I know there is mutual interest

Reactions: stuclone

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
If Stanford cuts wrestling he'll be able to do whatever he wants. I've heard his name brought up quite a few times so I know there is mutual interest
He'll be right at home in Ames... after all, ISU is the Stanford of the midwest.

Reactions: CY88 and CyTwins

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yeah that's why they call it a spectrum. Glad your boy handles it well. My nephew does as well but he just turned 15 and there are lots of dynamics at play.
One of the biggest things is the parents accepting it early enough. Wife has one kid in her school that I met a couple times at school events and it was obvious there was something at play, I guessed autism or similar from my interactions. Kid is fourth grade and parents refuse to accept the kid has any disability. Only hurting the kid. He has physical outbursts also but parents fight everything when it happens.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
One of the biggest things is the parents accepting it early enough. Wife has one kid in her school that I met a couple times at school events and it was obvious there was something at play, I guessed autism or similar from my interactions. Kid is fourth grade and parents refuse to accept the kid has any disability. Only hurting the kid. He has physical outbursts also but parents fight everything when it happens.

It's tough. It's my twin brother's oldest son, up until the age of 3 or 4 he was happy, smiley, normal kid and then it's like a fog came over him. They recognized it immediately and have done pretty amazing work dealing with it. He's pretty high functioning but is getting to the age of driving, girlfriends, etc. My bro goes to medical conferences all over the country every year to hear the latest research. If he gets into certain social situations he just can't handle it and needs one of them there to walk him around. There's so much to it that people just don't get.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

It would be hard to leave before he has that Stanford degree. I've read that's December.

Reactions: crablegs

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It's tough. It's my twin brother's oldest son, up until the age of 3 or 4 he was happy, smiley, normal kid and then it's like a fog came over him. They recognized it immediately and have done pretty amazing work dealing with it. He's pretty high functioning but is getting to the age of driving, girlfriends, etc. My bro goes to medical conferences all over the country every year to hear the latest research. If he gets into certain social situations he just can't handle it and needs one of them there to walk him around. There's so much to it that people just don't get.
It takes a lot and special people to handle children with it. With as much as I know of the Brands bros, they aren’t the right people to handle this. Spencer seems (and I’ve been told) to be the one helping him through it. If it wasn’t for him, I think there would have been more outbursts.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: cyputz and CyTwins

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
It takes a lot and special people to handle children with it. With as much as I know of the Brands bros, they aren’t the right people to handle this. Spencer seems (and I’ve been told) to be the one helping him through it. If it wasn’t for him, I think there would have been more outbursts.

Spencer has been a great influence, and the coaches have done a great job helping him.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyTwins

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
By marking my comment dumb, you're saying you'd be ok with the Brands brothers mentoring your nephew?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If he were a wrestler, yes. He's not a wrestler, he's in school band.
I’m basing my statements off being around them where they were at youth and HS meets that I was at. (Terry even tried to help coach my oldest at a freestyle tournament I couldn’t make) I don’t consider their personalities a good fit for someone with special needs. Has nothing to do with them being Iowa coaches, it is based off observations I’ve had with them and also friends of mine who are college wrestling coaches.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I’m basing my statements off being around them where they were at youth and HS meets that I was at. (Terry even tried to help coach my oldest at a freestyle tournament I couldn’t make) I don’t consider their personalities a good fit for someone with special needs. Has nothing to do with them being Iowa coaches, it is based off observations I’ve had with them and also friends of mine who are college wrestling coaches.

I'd base it off of Austin's parents. His mom actually gives a sh*t about him and I'd think if she felt he wasn't getting the kind of guidance that was in his best interest she'd pull him. That hasn't happened. If his parents are cool with how Iowa's coaches are guiding him, I think that trumps pretty much anything else, as much as that might chaffe ISU fans down there.