McD post game interview

dbronco7sc

Mar 25, 2006
Brookings, SD
Visit site
I can't wait till Chasson Randle (sp?) or Peter Jok or or any other hopeful recruits come visit this site to see if we're talking about them at all only to find this thread. I'm sure they'll just get all excited to play for a team who appears to be a complete mess due to people throwing out stupid comments.

Think about it... if I say... "Oh no... something really bad has happened to your family... I'm not going to tell you any more information because I have been told not to. But it's bad!"

All I'd be doing is making you assume the worst... speculate 50 different terrible things that could be going on. As word gets spread... they turn from "What if it was..." to "I heard that..." and just gets worse and worse.

If it's not a fact... or you don't post the full picture. Don't post it. You're only hurting the team you claim to be a fan of.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I just dug up the actual quote from the CRN last night.

“He did some great things off the floor but some of his antics off the floor have got to change. If they don’t change, I am not sure that it is going to work. I am just going to be honest with you. He is a very talented player. But this is a team sport. We have a few guys who don’t understand that all of the time. It is our job to get that through.”

Last edited:

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

“He did some great things on the floor but some of his antics off the floor have got to change. If they don’t change, I am not sure that it is going to work. I am just going to be honest with you. He is a very talented player. But this is a team sport. We have a few guys who don’t understand that all of the time. It is our job to get that through.â€￾

Chris, I heard it a couple of times this morning, and I thought he said off the court both times. I assumed he meant on the court were the good things and off were the bad, but I think it was off and off.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Chris, I heard it a couple of times this morning, and I thought he said off the court both times. I assumed he meant on the court were the good things and off were the bad, but I think it was off and off.

I've listened to it like four times and can't decide what he said. I assume that he meant "on" and "off" but I listened again and you're right, it sounds like "off" and "off." I'm going to change it just to be safe, even though that makes no sense.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
The problem I a saw last night goes back to an old saying with a twist. There is no "I" in Duke, but there's a capital "I" in Iowa State. Heard the name mentioned a couple times and will only say it once...Rick Majerus! Get him here!!!

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006

“He did some great things off the floor but some of his antics off the floor have got to change. If they don’t change, I am not sure that it is going to work. I am just going to be honest with you. He is a very talented player. But this is a team sport. We have a few guys who don’t understand that all of the time. It is our job to get that through.â€￾

The play by play guys work at the discretion of ISU so they are not going to be the ones to ask any tough probing questions...but someone in the press should be asking what these "antics" are.

hursts

Apr 10, 2006
As a coach you just CAN'T call a player out like that in public. Whether McDermott is telling the truth or not you just can't handle it through the media. Coaches preach "what happens here stays in the lockerroom" all the time and then McDermott calls out Colvin on a post game radio show? Makes no sense. McDermott really seems to have a problem handling the egos of the athletes needed to win at a BCS conference school. I hate to say it but he just seems over his head at ISU.

Reactions: cyclonenum1

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
As a coach you just CAN'T call a player out like that in public. Whether McDermott is telling the truth or not you just can't handle it through the media. Coaches preach "what happens here stays in the lockerroom" all the time and then McDermott calls out Colvin on a post game radio show? Makes no sense. McDermott really seems to have a problem handling the egos of the athletes needed to win at a BCS conference school. I hate to say it but he just seems over his head at ISU.

Some coaches are great at the mid-major level but not at the Big 12 level. Doesn't mean they are a bad coach, but sometimes the fit is just not right.

hursts

Apr 10, 2006
Some coaches are great at the mid-major level but not at the Big 12 level. Doesn't mean they are a bad coach, but sometimes the fit is just not right.
I think you're exactly right. McDermott is just not the right man for the job at ISU. I think McDermott is a decent coach but not at the Big 12 level. Part of being a coach is molding and managing all of the egos of the athletes at the BCS level. McDermott has proven that he has absolutely no clue on how to do this.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Part of our coach's job is to manage egos. If Colvin leaves it's clear McD is over his head with that part of his job.
LE, would you come back? We need a leader.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Part of our coach's job is to manage egos. If Colvin leaves it's clear McD is over his head with that part of his job.
LE, would you come back? We need a leader.

I dunno, seems like this part of coaching is better suited for NBA level. You can manage all you want, but if its continually disrupting you have to cut em loose.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Anyone think it's beyond the realm of possibility that McDermott advised his son to go to UNI because he wasn't sure he'd be at ISU during his entire college career?

Dave19642006

Nov 21, 2006
Des Moines
Courage-Wolf-20-BITE-OFF-MORE-THAN-YOU-CAN-CHEW-THEN-CHEW-IT17.jpg