Prohm Contract Extended

leschmick1785

Jul 12, 2013
Are we just going to ignore the fact that Prohm was called earlier this week by another P5 school, which he turned down without hesistation, followed by signing this extension?

It's pretty evident to me that he's happy.

Yes, LSU isn't exactly the Chicago Bulls. You don't pay people what they feel good about. You pay them what they are worth.

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
I wish it was more than just a 1 year extension, but maybe JP did all he could until ISU gets a new president.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think this is a good start. If the next couple years keep going like we hope, the AD can always bump him some more.

Definitely. If they somehow make the tournament next year, who says they can't tack on another year and move that salary up to $2.5M? And if they don't, $2M is fine for now.

leschmick1785

Jul 12, 2013
Do you think LSU would've paid more?

I bet they would have.

I guess I don't understand what side of the fence you're on. On one hand you're saying that $2 mil is good because he's happy with it and on the other you're saying we should be paying more because P5 schools are making him offers. Pick a side.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I'm lazy. Can somebody please list the ten B12 Coaches with their salaries listed in order?

Self - 3,856,000
Huggins- 3,250,000
Drew-2,768,154
Kruger-2,750,000
Weber- 1,850,000
Beard- About 1,800,000
Smart- 3,000,000
Dixon- 3,200,000

I just quickly looked these up so they could be off.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
You really need to look at Matt Campbell's contract.

You really don't know how it works at all.

When he wins something I will. If he wins 8 games next year, he better get paid. I realize you come from the time of "lil ol' ISU, the lovable losers without any money" but times have changed. If you want to have real programs you pay coaches. Or you can be OSU and hire Gottlieb.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Self - 3,856,000
Huggins- 3,250,000
Drew-2,768,154
Kruger-2,750,000
Weber- 1,850,000
Beard- About 1,800,000
Smart- 3,000,000
Dixon- 3,200,000

I just quickly looked these up so they could be off.

Weber is north of $2 mil, your number was the first year of his deal

I also think your Beard number is too high

Before this extension Prohm was 8th ahead of only Beard (and Underwood). After it Prohm is still 8th.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I guess I don't understand what side of the fence you're on. On one hand you're saying that $2 mil is good because he's happy with it and on the other you're saying we should be paying more because P5 schools are making him offers. Pick a side.
I'm trying to tell you that money isn't everything. If he's happy and likes his job, let him do his thing. He's had a good tenure here but nothing worth throwing blue blood money at. I love Prohm and hope he stays around, but we've achieved on-par with team expectations so far with two very talented and experienced teams. On-par performance, on-par pay. Now, the time has come to exceed expectations, particularly given that we have a "down year" or "rebuilding year" coming up. I am confident Prohm will earn larger sums of money in due time. The extra $0.5-1 million we could've paid him apparently doesn't matter to him much, because he can and had at least one opportunity go pursue that money elsewhere.

Let's not jump off the deep-end just yet... Give it time. Like I said earlier, ths contract sets us up perfectly to revisit its terms and pay rate right about 2020. By then we will know what we are dealing with him, his kids, his system, and his style, and how much money it's worth to keep for the long haul.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
We are paying. And keep in mind that the assistants need to be paid as well. Bonus for winning Big 12 Tourney was 8 weeks pay for each assistant I believe. They got another 2 weeks for getting to Tourney and another week for Top 32 I believe. So each assistant got close to $50,000 each in bonus money.

Pretty silly to imply that $2 million per year is horse **** compensation.

Where did I imply that? Don't put words into my mouth because your point sucks.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
We are paying. And keep in mind that the assistants need to be paid as well. Bonus for winning Big 12 Tourney was 8 weeks pay for each assistant I believe. They got another 2 weeks for getting to Tourney and another week for Top 32 I believe. So each assistant got close to $50,000 each in bonus money.

Pretty silly to imply that $2 million per year is horse **** compensation.

Yeah, that's how this works. You even have to pay Assistants nowadays.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Some of you need to calm down. He isn't leaving and isn't thinking of leaving. Just because he only got a raise this year to $2 million doesn't mean he is locked in to that amount. Next year if we make the tourney I'd expect another large raise.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
$2M a year is still too low to me. If he gets us back to the NCAA tournament next season, he needs to be flirting with $3M a year.

Probably, but you don't empty the gun either. Show him a boatload of appreciation, and have a boatload more waiting for him if his success continues on pace (and I'm sure it will).

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: jim4 and jkclone

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I'm trying to tell you that money isn't everything. If he's happy and likes his job, let him do his thing. He's had a good tenure here but nothing worth throwing blue blood money at. I love Prohm and hope he stays around, but we've achieved on-par with team expectations so far with two very talented and experienced teams. On-par performance, on-par pay. Now, the time has come to exceed expectations, particularly given that we have a "down year" or "rebuilding year" coming up. I am confident Prohm will earn larger sums of money in due time. The extra $0.5-1 million we could've paid him apparently doesn't matter to him much, because he can and had at least one opportunity go pursue that money elsewhere.

Let's not jump off the deep-end just yet... Give it time. Like I said earlier, ths contract sets us up perfectly to revisit its terms and pay rate right about 2020. By then we will know what we are dealing with him, his kids, his system, and his style, and how much money it's worth to keep for the long haul.

You don't get that kind of time. These things happen in a matter of days and weeks. Of course he's happy. He'd probably be "happy" at 1M. That doesn't mean we should be paying him and that doesn't mean it can't get better, especially for a guy who's not at home and has family elsewhere. Good grief guys, Minnesota had serious conversations with Fred Hoiberg because of this type of stuff and we want to continue to do the same ****.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
When he wins something I will. If he wins 8 games next year, he better get paid. I realize you come from the time of "lil ol' ISU, the lovable losers without any money" but times have changed. If you want to have real programs you pay coaches. Or you can be OSU and hire Gottlieb.

LOL. So all we have to do is just pay our basketball coach and football coach more than anyone else and we will win championships.

And I was under the mistaken thought that championships come before the large compensation is paid.

Campbell took over a bad football program. Campbell wins 6 games and he gets a $500,000 bonus. That might be doable next year.