Prohm Contract Extended

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I think it's more important if Prohm thinks it's too low, and I don't think he does.

I get the feeling that Prohm isn't worried about money or where he falls on the list of highest paid coaches. I think he cares about coaching. He knows if he takes care of the coaching part the money will come.

He's also a strong family man and I think it's important for him to be in an environment that is good for his family and I think he sees Ames as being just that...I don't think he's lying when he talks up how much he loves the fanbase and the community.

Prohm wouldn't have agreed to it if he had concerns. If Underwood got 3 million from Illinois, then I'm pretty sure Prohm could leave and get 2.5 or so from some other school if he felt ISU was low balling him.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
You don't get that kind of time. These things happen in a matter of days and weeks. Of course he's happy. He'd probably be "happy" at 1M. That doesn't mean we should be paying him and that doesn't mean it can't get better, especially for a guy who's not at home and has family elsewhere. Good grief guys, Minnesota had serious conversations with Fred Hoiberg because of this type of stuff and we want to continue to do the same ****.
Personally, I think he should get a performance-based raise to base pay every year for the short term. Half a mil per year for making (reasonable, agreed-upon) expectations for 3 or so years adds up real quick. Easy way to buy time into the long term to write the big boy checks and contracts.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Probably, but you don't empty the gun either. Show him a boatload of appreciation, and have a boatload more waiting for him if his success continues on pace (and I'm sure it will).

And I get that. You can always go up, but never backwards. Like I said, if he get's us back to the tournament next season, he deserves more money.

Uhhh, hey Stewo, go hire a coach that WINS!

(coach wins)

HEY, WHY ARE YOU THROWING THE TAXPAYER MONEY AWAY!!!!!

That's pretty much it. That and having to read everyone else's opinion on why you made the wrong decision.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Where did I imply that? Don't put words into my mouth because your point sucks.

LOL. I was dead accurate concerning Prohm and his contract extension.

Don't get mad because you were wrong about it. You just don't know how things work. LOL

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Isn't his buyout equal to remaining value of the contract? So technically it did increase the buyout.

I thought it was 50% of total value left on contract. Which does give us more buyout protection when we extend the contract.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I am so glad you are not in charge. $2 million is very good money. Prohm has more success then we likely extend and moderate raises will be given. Getting us back to the Tourney is not justification for $3 million per year.

We paid the man. And as his and our successes pile up we will continue to pay the man as he's a perfect fit, is a fundamentally decent human being and has the makings of being a great, great coach.

It's never a bad day to be a Cyclone and love seeing us make commitments to members of our family.

• Agree
Reactions: Stormin

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
And I get that. You can always go up, but never backwards. Like I said, if he get's us back to the tournament next season, he deserves more money.

That's pretty much it. That and having to read everyone else's opinion on why you made the wrong decision.

If he gets us to the tournament next season, it would be a tremendous accomplishment, so I agree.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
If he gets us to the tournament next season, it would be a tremendous accomplishment, so I agree.

And the best way to look at that potential feat is to step back and look at the different variables that will make that possible. We know there are a few guys to center a tournament bid around, but it's the incoming freshmen, plus what he can net from the transfer market this year that can (and do) contribute. If he accomplishes that, to me it proves that he's a damn good and intelligent coach. Those types don't just grow on trees.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
LOL. So all we have to do is just pay our basketball coach and football coach more than anyone else and we will win championships.

And I was under the mistaken thought that championships come before the large compensation is paid.

Campbell took over a bad football program. Campbell wins 6 games and he gets a $500,000 bonus. That might be doable next year.

FFS. He's 8th in the conference. Do you think he's the 8th best coach in the conference?

Reactions: isufbcurt

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
LOL. I was dead accurate concerning Prohm and his contract extension.

Don't get mad because you were wrong about it. You just don't know how things work. LOL

I never predicted anything would happen. I said the 2M number was likely where it was going to fall so I'm not real sure what you're talking about. It's not real hard to predict that Jamie Pollard isn't going out on a limb with per year compensation.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Prohm agreeing to it doesn't mean that he wouldn't bail for a higher job. He's not going to turn down whatever the highest pay he can get here is, doesn't mean he wouldn't take something higher somewhere else.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I never predicted anything would happen. I said the 2M number was likely where it was going to fall so I'm not real sure what you're talking about. It's not real hard to predict that Jamie Pollard isn't going out on a limb with per year compensation.

LOL. Jamie Pollard obviously doesn't understand how these things work.......but you do. LOL.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
And the best way to look at that potential feat is to step back and look at the different variables that will make that possible. We know there are a few guys to center a tournament bid around, but it's the incoming freshmen, plus what he can net from the transfer market this year that can (and do) contribute. If he accomplishes that, to me it proves that he's a damn good and intelligent coach. Those types don't just grow on trees.

I'd add that sometimes that level of success with a young team, doesn't happen, even with a fantastic coach. My main goal for next year is for the team to show that it can win, and get better as the year goes on. That may result in 16, 17 or 18 wins and still be a success in my book even if we miss the tournament.

• Agree
Reactions: Yellow Snow

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
You really need to look at Matt Campbell's contract.

You really don't know how it works at all.

This is how it works. In today's D1 market. 2 million dollars is NOT a lot of money. 4 to 6 million or more per year is a LOT of money. There is no guarantee a coach will stay. Prohm appears to be happy. I hope he is. The CF online psychic network here declares him happy so therefore he must be happy. Of course, his wife might be beating him with a stick nightly to get the **** out of Iowa but who cares.

Prohm needs a good 5-year winning record to move up and out if he chooses to do that. I don't expect him to leave. If he makes it to the next two out of three NCAA's he can write his ticket here in Ames or elsewhere. If the Cyclones don't want to pay him 3 million or more per year you can kiss his ass goodbye.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Prohm agreeing to it doesn't mean that he wouldn't bail for a higher job. He's not going to turn down whatever the highest pay he can get here is, doesn't mean he wouldn't take something higher somewhere else.

True, but it does mean that he is very unlikely to leave ISU this year. I wouldn't be surprised there will be raise in the by out included with the raise. Let's not stress over the amount it is appropriate and deserved for his success to date. There is always room for Pollard to give another raise next year with similar success.
Prohm is happy with his deserved bump Let's remember Prohm hasn't shown any indication he is looking to leave or is dissatisfied with his current contract or AD. Prohm's appears to be loyal guy and I expect him to be coaching at ISU for the foreseeable future.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
This is how it works. In today's D1 market. 2 million dollars is NOT a lot of money. 4 to 6 million or more per year is a LOT of money. There is no guarantee a coach will stay. Prohm appears to be happy. I hope he is. The CF online psychic network here declares him happy so therefore he must be happy. Of course, his wife might be beating him with a stick nightly to get the **** out of Iowa but who cares.

Prohm needs a good 5-year winning record to move up and out if he chooses to do that. I don't expect him to leave. If he makes it to the next two out of three NCAA's he can write his ticket here in Ames or elsewhere. If the Cyclones don't want to pay him 3 million or more per year you can kiss his ass goodbye.

Prohm and his wife have a new baby or will shortly have one.

Prohm signed the contract extension so it is a safe bet that he is happy.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
FFS. He's 8th in the conference. Do you think he's the 8th best coach in the conference?
No, but let's verify that now. He did well with a fully-loaded cupboard. Now we get to see how he does without one. I really don't think the extra million hurts him too much, it's not all about money.