RECRUITING: Shakur Juiston commits to UNLV (Part Two)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LasVegasReb

Apr 28, 2017
Seattle
Highly unlikely. Their talent is considerably better. Even with bad coaching, and that talent playing AAU style basketball, they can still beat many teams in an average mid major conference.
When Menzies took over the program last April. I repeat, last April. There were two returning scholarship players and he was able to convince another to return making it 3. He had to recruit 8 scholarship players started in April. What do you think he could get and what could they do?

Reactions: Cyclone Rebel

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
It was the worst season in the history of the program. Even with that UNLV is the #5 ranked program with highest winning percentage.

nmdpa1.jpg
I'm not arguing their overall success. It really doesn't matter. They're not constantly on ESPN because of being 5th in win %. The fact remains, they won't be on national TV. And I understand, for recruits, this probably isn't a big deal.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
While I agree that AAU coach's and 3rd parties get involved (UNLV has had their share), I'll I'm saying is UNLV has more to offer than most consider.

I don't know about Juiston and if an AAU coach or 'handler' helped swayed his decision. Even if it did, a kid still has to make a decision and he owns it. But even mentioning suggests that UNLV didnt somehow play fairly. Do you think Prohm has ever had a recruit with a 'handler' or AAU coach and did he reject any recruit because it it?
I don't know about Prohm, but I know UNLV got Rashad Vaughn because his handler asked for a position at ISU and Hoiberg rejected him, then ended up getting a spot in Vegas. I know we have lost out on a handful of very good players that have had "handlers" even though we seemed to be the front-runner for most of the process.

I love Vegas, and I am not denying it is a destination for student athletes, but him coming out and saying winning was a huge part of his decision and then going to UNLV is a bit crazy, don't you think? The nightlife and restaurants argument is hilarious to me because in no way is a college athlete going to be able to dine out at those regularly, if ever. And having an 18k seating renovated arena doesn't mean anything if you can barely get over half of it filled.

Sure Vegas is better than Ames, Vegas is also better than Lawrence, or Spokane, or Mansfield, or Syracuse. Basketball decisions should be made on basketball and your own thoughts, but maybe I'm just old school

LasVegasReb

Apr 28, 2017
Seattle
I'm not arguing their overall success. It really doesn't matter. They're not constantly on ESPN because of being 5th in win %. The fact remains, they won't be on national TV. And I understand, for recruits, this probably isn't a big deal.
You're right. It so hurt Patrick McCaw, Derrick Jones and Stephen Zimmerman so they can't play in the NBA. Oh wait they are playing in the NBA.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
When Menzies took over the program last April. I repeat, last April. There were two returning scholarship players and he was able to convince another to return making it 3. He had to recruit 8 scholarship players started in April. What do you think he could get and what could they do?
I was arguing they will be better next year. I can see them top 5 in the conference, top 3 if Menzies is a good coach. Still not sure if that's good enough for an NCAA bid in a mid major conference. I suppose it depends on their good wins along the way.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Ok guys I'm here baring a white flag and looking to only respond and understand some of your positions. I am not looking to troll or flame you. All of you are disappointed and or angry the Juiston chose UNLV. I get it your coach put in a lot of work building a relationship and he didn't choose you guys.

As someone else mentioned you wouldn't be so perturbed if it had been say a Blueblood school. You could easily rationalize this fact. However, lots a comments suggest that the only way he could choose UNLV over ISU is because of cheating. If you have evidence to suggest this then bring it forward.

UNLV has a lot to offer basketball recruits versus the coaches having to 'cheat'.

1. UNLV albeit down for many years has a strong and storied brand. They play in the 18K seat Thomas & Mack which up until this last couple season touted some very high attendance numbers. UNLV just spent $72M on its renovations and expansion.
  2. UNLV number of NCAA appearances are similar to ISU. UNLV also has a National Championship. The UNLV brand has taken a beating but it's still a storied brand (watch the HBO special). Some recruits like the idea of being the one to help bring it back to national prominence. Many of this year's recruits feel this way.
  3. UNLV Basketball has its own dedicated $12M facility built in 2012. USA Basketball uses it for training and well NBA Sumner League.
  4. As mentioned above the Thomas & Mack and UNLV Basketball facility (both owned by UNLV) hosts NBA Summer Leagues and USA Basketball. This provides great level of interaction and relationships with the next level.
  5. Las Vegas is a great town and very nice to live in. Obviously many of you will disagree but unless you have actually lived in the city you really don't know. "Great city, great people, phenomenal area to go to school," Hardy said of UNLV."
  6. Las Vegas hosts number of AAU and other high school tournments in which high level recruits are exposed to the city and UNLV.
  7. Las Vegas is becoming a professional sports town with additonal of NHL Golden Knights and NFL Raiders. And some to be more.
  8. For families wanting to visit and attend games it easier, more affordable and more desirable than almost any city in the country.
  9. UNLV's down years have taken a toll on national televised games however all games are available online if not broadcast on TV. But televised games always swing on a pendulum even for more notable programs. UNLV will have its share of nationally televised games.
  10. Marvin Menzies and his assistant coaches are good recruiters and good people. Recruiting is about relationships as much as anything else. I'm sure you've interviewed for a job before and came away saying 'I really want to work for that person', 'they can offer me what in want in a company' or the opposite. Recruits feel the same way and generally it's a big part of your decision. Sometimes the biggest.
  11. Yes. Las Vegas is not Ames. That's not a knock on Ames. Las Vegas has some of the best restaurants, nightlife and entertainment one can offer. Why wouldn't this be attractive? It also doesn't mean the athlete won't take his development seriously. Read Amauri Hardy's response on why he committed; he said that he wanted exposure of a big city as part as his development. He said "I think Las Vegas can prepare me for the long run," he said. "If I have a chance to make the NBA, I can get a taste of (a big city) before the fame. If I can handle Las Vegas, I should be able to handle the fame of possibly being an NBA player."
  12. UNLV was also selling a recruiting package with other players. Signing McCoy was a big factor in both Juiston and Hardy decision.
You can say hookers and blow and all the other stuff. But quite honestly UNLV is ultra careful with recruiting based on the tiff between Tark and the NCAA. They pay extra close attention to UNLV and so playing by the rules is critical.

So there are more things that UNLV can offer besides resulting to hookers and blow.

You lost me at point 5. I've spent a ton of time in Vegas off the strip and I would never consider raising a family there.

LasVegasReb

Apr 28, 2017
Seattle
I don't know about Prohm, but I know UNLV got Rashad Vaughn because his handler asked for a position at ISU and Hoiberg rejected him, then ended up getting a spot in Vegas. I know we have lost out on a handful of very good players that have had "handlers" even though we seemed to be the front-runner for most of the process.

I love Vegas, and I am not denying it is a destination for student athletes, but him coming out and saying winning was a huge part of his decision and then going to UNLV is a bit crazy, don't you think? The nightlife and restaurants argument is hilarious to me because in no way is a college athlete going to be able to dine out at those regularly, if ever. And having an 18k seating renovated arena doesn't mean anything if you can barely get over half of it filled.

Sure Vegas is better than Ames, Vegas is also better than Lawrence, or Spokane, or Mansfield, or Syracuse. Basketball decisions should be made on basketball and your own thoughts, but maybe I'm just old school
I'm not arguing for one point but the culimination of the all. It all depends what the recruit is seeking. However I do think they are ultimately making a decision on basketball but other factors are sure to influence.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I'm not arguing for one point but the culimination of the all. It all depends what the recruit is seeking. However I do think they are ultimately making a decision on basketball but other factors are sure to influence.
Can you see how, him saying winning and being close to home were a big factor in his decision then going to the worst record team the furthest away from home, is strange? If he's making a basketball decision and UNLV makes sense over ISU and Rhode Island, I guess I just don't understand it.

• Agree
Reactions: ComCY

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
UNLV has had more coaches since 2011 than they have had NCAA appearances. That is downright comical.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
You're right. It so hurt Patrick McCaw, Derrick Jones and Stephen Zimmerman so they can't play in the NBA. Oh wait they are playing in the NBA.
Exactly why I included my final sentence. I understand recruits usually don't care about television.

But it annoys me when fans act like their non relevant program, is relevant on the national scene. Ask most basketball fans where Stephen Zimmerman, Derrik Jones, and McCaw went to school, and they would have no idea.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Highly unlikely. Their talent is considerably better. Even with bad coaching, and that talent playing AAU style basketball, they can still beat many teams in an average mid major conference.

No. Have you looked at who they have? It is not considerably better than last year. I mean if say McCoy is a talent upgrade sure. he has a lot of talent but is a raw freshman big who at this point is really just a banger with not much of an actual basketball game. They lost 5 major contributors from last years team that won 4 conference game. They also don't play AAU style. Menzies is more of a slow pace guy.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
No. Have you looked at who they have? It is not considerably better than last year. I mean if say McCoy is a talent upgrade sure. he has a lot of talent but is a raw freshman big who at this point is really just a banger with not much of an actual basketball game. They lost 5 major contributors from last years team that won 4 conference game. They also don't play AAU style. Menzies is more of a slow pace guy.

No problem. The players will see that chart and play like Carolina.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Yeah, we've seen this before. UNLV signs good players, still sucks. Rinse and repeat.

It's a bit sad to see promising prospects waste their year mouth-balled in the desert, but on the other hand they're easier to forget about. It will be much worse watching UNC with Brooks and Florida with Egor. And damn if they had picked a Big 12 school.

LasVegasReb

Apr 28, 2017
Seattle
UNLV just signed the #12 best class in the country and showed the door to many disenters. This team will be far improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.