What are you reading?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The follow-up trilogy, Age of Madness, is almost better in my opinion.

Good to know. I was hesitant to start them just because I loved that first trilogy so much. Best fantasy I’ve read in years.

Cyismymonkey

Jan 1, 2013
I grabbed a copy of Edmund Morris' Edison biography before we headed off to vacation but it got passed over for a couple mass market paperbacks I also picked up. (Latest Jack Reacher novel and one by Nelson DeMille.) Looking forward to getting started on it, Morris is a good biographer and his 3 books on Teddy Roosevelt were legendary in scope and detail.
I’ve been on a bit of a Cormac McCarthy bender lately.

Reactions: Todd

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
The Mosquito Bowl: A Game of Life and Death in World War II, by Buzz Bissinger.

Great novel for sports fans as well as WW II history enthusiasts. An amazing assortment of college and professional football players from 2 regiments of the 6th Marine Division who stage a football match while training on Guadalcanal for the invasion of Okinawa.

Last edited:

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
View attachment 108346

"Between 1898 and 1912, families across the country were bludgeoned in their sleep with the blunt side of an axe. Jewelry and valuables were left in plain sight, bodies were piled together, faces covered with cloth. Some of these cases, like the infamous Villasca, Iowa, murders, received national attention. But few people believed the crimes were related. And fewer still would realize that all of these families lived within walking distance to a train station.

When celebrated baseball statistician and true crime expert Bill James first learned about these horrors, he began to investigate others that might fit the same pattern. Applying the same know-how he brings to his legendary baseball analysis, he empirically determined which crimes were committed by the same person. Then after sifting through thousands of local newspapers, court transcripts, and public records, he and his daughter Rachel made an astonishing discovery: they learned the true identity of this monstrous criminal. In turn, they uncovered one of the deadliest serial killers in America.

Riveting and immersive, with writing as sharp as the cold side of an axe, The Man from the Train paints a vivid, psychologically perceptive portrait of America at the dawn of the twentieth century, when crime was regarded as a local problem, and opportunistic private detectives exploited a dysfunctional judicial system. James shows how these cultural factors enabled such an unspeakable series of crimes to occur, and his groundbreaking approach to true crime will convince skeptics, amaze aficionados, and change the way we view criminal history."

Giving this one a shot, just decided I was done with Golf in the Kingdom. Great half of a book, and a terrible second half.

Reactions: 2speedy1

JustAnotherTimeline

Jul 29, 2021
Uhhh....'Salem's Lot is hands down his best and scariest novel. Go there. Now.

I've read basically every King novel so if you want any thoughts on any of them let me know.

Oh sheeeeeit! I think Barlow is hiding in the school!

Gonna finish this one up today on audio. You are right, freaking awesome.

I have really enjoyed King. Too bad I am so late to the party. We can blame my conservative upbringing (which wasn't all bad or anything). But King, The Simpsons, and Al Bundy were off limits.

Among many things, one of the reasons I enjoy his writing is because I love grappling with the big questions of life. He does a great job making you ponder things like death and desperation (Pet Sem) and the what is real questions (Salems Lot). For instance, there are numerous lines I have thought about quoting in the Religion thread. Mix in some great characters, some mystery, and some scares, and I'm set!

What is next for me on audio? It doesn't have to be King, but I will say I have enjoyed King many times more than Malfi if that helps! FYI I am currently reading The Stand on Kindle.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
White Malice. It follows the CIA's influence in Africa after the second world war. Never really studied much on African history, it's pretty interesting and also eye opening.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis

I have really enjoyed King. Too bad I am so late to the party. We can blame my conservative upbringing (which wasn't all bad or anything). But King, The Simpsons, and Al Bundy were off limits.

Among many things, one of the reasons I enjoy his writing is because I love grappling with the big questions of life. He does a great job making you ponder things like death and desperation (Pet Sem) and the what is real questions (Salems Lot). For instance, there are numerous lines I have thought about quoting in the Religion thread. Mix in some great characters, some mystery, and some scares, and I'm set!

What is next for me on audio? It doesn't have to be King, but I will say I have enjoyed King many times more than Malfi if that helps! FYI I am currently reading The Stand on Kindle.
You should look into a book like Chasing the Boogeyman by Richard Chizmar

Reactions: JustAnotherTimeline

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I am extremely late to the party it seems. I have never read anything by Stephen King. But, I just finished Pet Semetary and I loved it! It the best book I've read in the last few months.

Can someone give me any recommendations based on that? Maybe another one by King? Or, something else with similar vibes?
"It" is his best work by a ways, IMO. The recent movies were good, but impossible to do it justice. Just captures the emotions (fears, joys, etc) of childhood, and then adulthood so well. Very nostalgic feel to it.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Pacific Crucible: War in the Pacific (volume 1), 1941-42. It's about the 10th book I've read on the subject, but it does add some new and interesting perspective, and it's well written.
Just saw this thread (not sure how I missed it), but wondering if you’ve ever come across good reads related to what was happening in Asia prior to Pearl Harbor.

That is a subject I want to know a LOT more about, but just can’t seem to find much out there. It’s like authors avoid it.

I have read Japan 1941: Countdown to Infamy (Eri Hotta) and have Tower of Skulls: A History of the Asia-Pacific War July 1937-May 1942 (Richard Frank).

Japan 1941 (Hotta) didn’t really give me what I was looking for. Was a good book, but not exactly the subject matter I’m seeking. I have hopes for Tower of Skulls, but I’m guessing it will miss what I’m looking for as well.

Want I really want to know is what was Japan doing prior to deciding they had to attack the US. I know the were imperialistic, and had brutal conflicts with China (which is what I expect to get out of Tower of Skulls), but I think there is a much more to the story involving the South Pacific. That is what I want to read more about.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyismymonkey

Jan 1, 2013
Man you are probably a tough hang right now. Dudes stuff is depressing
Finished The Passenger and Stella Maris. Preferred the later of the two which I thought was quite good. Got about a third of the way through The Crossing, put it down for now, a bit far fetched. Just finished The Dog Stars by Peter Heller. Good read.

Last edited:

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames

I think Salem's Lot is why I think long and hard before I invite anyone into my house.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Just saw this thread (not sure how I missed it), but wondering if you’ve ever come across good reads related to what was happening in Asia prior to Pearl Harbor.

That is a subject I want to know a LOT more about, but just can’t seem to find much out there. It’s like authors avoid it.

I have read Japan 1941: Countdown to Infamy (Eri Hotta) and have Tower of Skulls: A History of the Asia-Pacific War July 1937-May 1942 (Richard Frank).

Japan 1941 (Hotta) didn’t really give me what I was looking for. Was a good book, but not exactly the subject matter I’m seeking. I have hopes for Tower of Skulls, but I’m guessing it will miss what I’m looking for as well.

Want I really want to know is what was Japan doing prior to deciding they had to attack the US. I know the were imperialistic, and had brutal conflicts with China (which is what I expect to get out of Tower of Skulls), but I think there is a much more to the story involving the South Pacific. That is what I want to read more about.
I've read a ton of different histories on that, but this is the first one that comes to mind.

Reactions: enisthemenace

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I've read a ton of different histories on that, but this is the first one that comes to mind.

I saw this one when I ended up going with Tower of Skulls. Only reason I skipped it is because it covers through 1945.

I’ll probably read it eventually, but I was thinking a book spanning 1936-1945 would be too broad for what I’m looking for, unless it’s like 2,500 pages :D

I’ve heard about the US causing a lot of issues for Japan in the South Pacific many years before WWII.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Listening to this now. Jumps around a bit, making it feel a bit hard to get a good feel for the narrative, but I kinda think I oughta know more about this period View attachment 101367
I bet this is fascinating. I thought The Coming of the Third Reich (Richard Evans) was really good. It spans the timeframe between the world wars in Germany and how Treaty of Versailles as well as the global depression made Germany ripe for what ultimate happened.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I should probably participate in the topic here:

I just finished The Brothers Karamazov (Dostoevsky) and am currently reading/almost finished with The Count of Monte Cristo (Dumas).

On deck was Into Thin Air (Krakauer; I’ve read Into the Wild and Under the Banner of Heaven), but I think I’m going to bump it for Tower of Skulls: A History of the Asia-Pacific War (which I mentioned above).

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
How have I missed this thread until now? I am an avid reader and for crime fiction I have stumbled onto Jennifer Hillier. She is very good at the psychological/emotional aspect of crime. All her books are set in Seattle and/or Toronto (places she has lived). I don't want to put her books down once I get started on one. John Sanford is my #1 author in the crime genre though. He has 3-4 different series all set in MN.

Non-Fiction: I read a ton of finance/retirement/investing books. Best quick, general advice book in that area is "We're Talking Millions!". I bought a half dozen of this book for my kids and others. Great for younger people to read to set them in right direction. Short (2-3 hours) and concise.

• Informative
Reactions: JustAnotherTimeline